Updated: May 19, 2020
“If you continue to do what you’ve always done,
you’ll continue to get what you’ve always gotten!”
So, you’re ready to Reinvent some part of your life and now you need to take the steps towards action, not just dreaming.
I’m all for being a student of life and spending time learning about much that our world has to offer, how to do anything better, lessons learned, and growing as a human being.
But when it starts to become an excuse for not getting off our butts to do something that we are dreaming and wishing we could do, and we spend more time talking about it or studying how to do it, instead of just doing it... we need to rethink this.
How many of you are reading self-help books and listening to lots of podcasts to inspire and motivate you? How many lists have you made about what you’re going to do with this great new idea? Do you have notes all over the place with great ideas and brainstorms you’ve had that you can’t wait to get to work on? You have this great idea that you want to launch but you think you need to learn or study or listen to just a little more before you actually do it, right?
But you just haven’t busted a move yet, have you? Analysis causes paralysis and it sounds like you’re caught up in this conundrum wishing you could find the time and re-prioritize a few things in your life so you can get to work on your next chapter, your dream project or your life Reinvention.
Well, why not put those books and phones down and start moving on the task at hand and you will get the rewards you’re seeking and wishing you had. See what happens if you make a plan and start to act on it. Learn from the process, teach yourself while on your journey, overcome the obstacles and make your next chapter come alive one baby step at a time.
Treat this like you would a project at work or an assignment that your child might have to work through at school – create a work plan that breaks down all the steps that you might need to go through to reach you goals.
It’s like most things we take on in life but this time it’s for you – and if you don’t take it as seriously, you may not ever reach that goal.
Set aside an hour, grab a pen and paper, and start to chart the following:
· What is your Reinvention project?
· Is this a short term Reinvention or a lifetime career or game-changing Reinvention?
· What are the things you need to learn, read, buy, create, engage in to know more or attain
elements of it?
· Who do you know that you can talk to about this or how can you reach others in this field to
help, inspire and motivate you?
· How many hours a week can you afford to spend on this?
· What weekend time can be devoted to it?
· What, in your current life will you need to do differently in order to focus and dedicate time
· What and who are the obstacles that are in your way?
· Is this a passion project or is it a means to an end for you?
· What are the things/people at your fingertips and easily accessible that you can take
advantage of and utilize to further your goals?
· What are the rewards and payoff for you in accomplishing this reinvention?
· What are you seeking in this process?
· Who in your life will be affected by this – good and bad?
· Is money and your financial well-being connected to this and if so, what are your financial
· Will your current financial situation be affected by this process and how can you balance
· Will this provide you with satisfaction and make you happy?
These questions are the tools that will set you on the path but only YOU can make this Reinvention happen. It might be something as simple as learning Italian, going to the gym regularly, picking up a new hobby… All of these little Reinventions will nurture your soul, make you feel more alive, give you control over your life in ways you can’t imagine and make you happy for so many reasons.
You can come up with all the excuses in the world but if you just schedule time with yourself like you would any other appointment, put your phone down for 30 extra minutes so you can find that extra time instead of hanging out on social media seeing what everyone else is doing, wake up an hour earlier to create new space in your day for this important personal project, you’d be amazed at how your life will change.
Try if for 30 days - be relentless, fight for something you believe in, be passionate and don’t give up.
Go ahead, Reinvent Your Life! What are you waiting for?
Enjoy and #HappyReinventing!
What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?
Share your stories, feedback, anecdotes - I'd like to include them in my blog, website or upcoming book.
Follow me on social media, share, retweet, repost and like @:
Facebook: The Reinvention Exchange
LinkedIn: The Reinvention Exchange or Kathi Sharpe-Ross
Instagram: KathiSR or TheReinventionExchange